1919 August

Photo:Frank Albon, MM

Frank Albon, MM

Photo:Eric Hyder

Eric Hyder

Photo:Charles Walkden

Charles Walkden

Events from the pages of the Royston Crow

By Peter Greener

 

1919 August

 

The aftereffects of the war were still unravelling and even 9 months after the armistice soldiers were just returning. Mr Frank Albon of Kingsland Terrace was now home and was heartily congratulated on winning the Military Medal.

Meanwhile an Ashwell & District Ex-Servicemen’s Association was formed under the auspices of the national Discharged & Demobilised Soldiers Association. Their first meeting was a sports day to be held at the Recreation Ground on August Bank Holiday Monday. There must have been some element of competition as the results were published and a collection for disabled soldiers raised £2-18-1½d (£2.90p)

After the grand Peace celebrations of July all the accounts were settled and £17-8s-0d (£17.40) was left which was distributed to needy disabled soldiers at the rate of 50p each.

 

On the revitalised sports front Ashwell played Letchworth at cricket but lost. And at the Three Tuns a meeting decided to enter a football team in the local Senior League with a second team planned for the Junior League.

 

On other village matters the Church Clock needed repairing and the ever present question of who would pay for it was brought up again. There was also a proposal to form a County Produce Market as the need for a weekly market at Ashwell was recognised. I have not heard of this getting off the ground.

                       

A letter from Charles Walkden, who was a regular correspondent, always full of ideas and irritations, dealt with his proposal to build a crescent of 14 cottages that would remain in Government control and be built with borrowed money. Each was to be on an ? acre plot and face South or West. He relates that since 1875 16 small cottages had been demolished on condemnation by the authorities (usually on health grounds) while 31 had been built on new sites and 2 on old. At that time the village had no mains electricity supply so he suggests that the disused corn mill in Mill Street could supply electricity to light houses with small windows.

 

Two road accidents were reported this month.  Mr Eric Hyder was riding from Arlesey Crossing on his motorbike with another man on push cycle holding on to his shoulder to gain a free ride, a practice not to be encouraged as the handlebars locked and both men were thrown off. Fortunately, they escaped serious injury but the front of the motorcycle was damaged.

 

Mr Francis, of Chapel Cottages, was driving a horse and cart for Mr Angel in Gardiners Lane, When the horse took fright at some pigs and bolted Mr Francis tried to jump clear but a wheel went over his leg. He was taken to Cambridge Hospital in Mr Fordham’s car and after an operation was progressing well.

This page was added on 13/07/2019.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.