Vine Cottage

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Vine Cottage' page

20, High Street

by Bridget Long

This cottage is probably late seventeenth century, of timber frame construction. The two porches were added in the nineteenth century and the front façade was brick faced in the early twentieth century.

Most of the relevant deeds to the cottage still exist. The first record is of it being sold by Sir Richard Hutchinson of Inner Temple, London to Edward Everard of Ashwell in1708. The Everards were cordwainers (shoemakers) in the village and they continued to occupy the house until the 1820s. The name Everard is one of the surnames on the lead plates in the church tower.

In 1829 it was described as:

‘Dwelling house. Stud and plastered with tiled roof, containing Sitting room, Small parlour and Tailors workshop in front and Wash house at back. Three bedrooms on the One pair and a Cellar. Long woodshed with thatched roof. Good Garden at back and a small piece of Garden Ground in front. Well of Water. Annual value £9.0.0’

At various times during the nineteenth century, a tailor, a surgeon, a grocer, a carpenter and a beer-shop keeper used the cottage. By 1914 it was called Vine Villas and occupied by Martha Bryant Dressmaker. Since then it has been occupied by Mrs Camps, Mr and Mrs Fouracres and, from 1984, by Peter and Bridget Long. 

This page was added on 05/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.