London House

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'London House' page

24 and 26 High Street

by Liz and Roy Fitzsimmons

As far as we are aware the house was built around 1875 but we do have some beams in our basement that are considerably older.  It is built of local Arlesey White bricks with a slate roof.

Our records only go back as far as 1906 when the house was sold to the Westrope family who owned it until 1971.  It was described as a ‘Dwelling House and Shop’ and as a ‘Grocers and Drapers’.

The house has two numbers – 24 and 26 High Street and has two staircases and it appears as if at least part of the house was divided into 2 flats as in 1971 the Westropes sold it to Henry and Derek Woolhead, Kenneth Haynes (both from Chingford) together with Percy Harrison of Flat 1 London House and Joseph Waldock of Flat 2 London House. 

In 1974 it was sold again to Rosemary and Roderick Blake who then ran Westrope Stores. 

In 1982 Glynne and Liz Harris bought the property from the Blakes and used it as their family home.  Glynne and Liz ran the Three Tuns and as the business became more successful they started to use the house as an overspill to the hotel.  When Liz eventually gave up the Tuns she ran London House as a Bed and Breakfast business – right up until 1991 when we bought it.  For several years we would get people knocking on the door asking if we had any vacancies!

We have now lived in the house for nearly 20 years and love it.  We are one of the few remaining houses on the High Street with a vehicular access on to Hodwell.  There are some old barns at the bottom of the garden that have been converted into a double garage and car port.  The house fronts the High Street but the garden is a veritable oasis – completely secluded and quiet.

This page was added on 05/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.