Bacon's House

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Bacon's House' page

82 High Street

by Jon and Polly Simons

· Bacon’s House, along with the Saddlery next door, is thought to have been built some time in the 17th century.

· Early in the 18th century the Bacon family lived here, running a dairy farm in what is now Bacon’s Yard.

· In 1737, Edward Bacon was appointed one of the two constables for Ashwell.

· When, in 1801, the first census was taken, William Bacon received 5 shillings “for making a list of the population”.

· At the time of the 1841 census, William Bacon (age 65) lived here with his great-nephew, William Edward Bacon (age 11).

· William Edward Bacon ran the farm for the next 50 years, selling to the Fordham family from the Bury in 1895.

· Until the mid-20th century, Bacon’s Yard dairy operated here, with milk carts zipping in and out of what is now the garden.

This page was added on 04/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.