Digswell Manor

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Digswell Manor' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Digswell Manor' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Digswell Manor' page

74 High Street

Digswell Manor was built in 1650 of local bricks and clunch, with a peg tile roof. The back part of the house was added in about 1700.

The house was originally known as the Courthouse of the Manor of Westbury Nernewtes.

The rear of the building was a malting until the middle of the nineteenth century.

The house and grounds formed part of Bluegates Dairy (now Bacons Yard) and the house was used as farm labourers’ cottages.  

It was a cowherder, with delusions of grandeur, who gave the house its name ‘Digswell Manor’ at the turn of the century.

People who have lived here :

· Used as a cycle shop by Thomas Flitton; he was an agent  for Rudge Whitworth cycles and, even when very old with trembling hands, he still did cycle repairs and hired out cycles for a few pence a day.

· Mr. Olly lived here in the ’80s, making and selling dolls houses.

· Erasmus and Biddy Barlow (Charles Darwin’s great grandson and his wife) moved here from Elbrook house for the last few years of their lives.

This page was added on 18/04/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.