51 High Street

Photo:The Weslyan Methodist Chapel, exterior

The Weslyan Methodist Chapel, exterior

Photo:...and interior

...and interior

Photo: Illustrative image for the '51 High Street' page

by Joan Ridley

In 1841 the field on which this house now stands belonged to the Rev. T. Bereton, the Rector of Guilden Morden.  It was occupied by William Bacon.

The site remained as farmland until 1880 when the Ashwell Weslyan Methodist Chapel was built here.  The present house was built on the site of the chapel and its front garden almost exactly one hundred years later, in 1979/80.

By 1978 the congregation of the chapel was declining and the building needed expensive restoration work and so it was decided to sell the site by auction.  The remaining twenty-five members of the chapel congregation joined the United Reformed Church.

The garden wall includes several of the chapel's commemorative stones.  Also, part of the wall, along the 'Twitchell' at the side of the house, is the old east wall of the chapel - note the metal air vents.

This page was added on 26/05/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.