The Rose and Crown

Photo:Old photo(date not known) of the Rose & Crown.

Old photo(date not known) of the Rose & Crown.

Photo:The Rose & Crown 1980's

The Rose & Crown 1980's

By Norman Phillips

         The Rose and Crown Ashwell High Street

This pub is timber framed and jettied and is  thought to have been built in the 16th century. It is first mentioned in 1746, and it also had its own maltings attached. It was owned by James Ind, a baldock brewer in 1792. His brother, Edmund Ind , co founded Ind Coope, the Romford brewers.                    

                      In 1815 John Pryor bought Ind's brewery and tied estate (including the Rose & Crown) and after his death in 1852, John and Thomas George Simpson bought the brewery and pubs.

 Simpsons continued brewing for a hundred years, finally selling to Greene King in 1954. The pub is still owned by Greene King and run by Rhubarb Inns.

This page was added on 23/09/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.