36 High Street

Photo:Eddie Browns on right just before bend.

Eddie Browns on right just before bend.

Photo:Butchers shop opposite pub sign.

Butchers shop opposite pub sign.

Photo:Close up of Eddie Brown's shop

Close up of Eddie Brown's shop

Photo:Slaughterhouse in Hodwell now a house

Slaughterhouse in Hodwell now a house

Butchers Shop

By Norman Phillips

John Ashwell had a butchers at No 36 High Street with a modern slaughterhouse facing onto Hodwell.

Eddie Brown, a methodist local preacher, bought the shop in the late 1940's and ran it until he retired in the early 1960's. Stan Whitehead took over until the shop closed in the late 1960's.

This page was added on 15/03/2011.