Foresters' Cottages

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Foresters' Cottages' page
Photo:Photographs taken in 1962 during the restoration of the cottages.

Photographs taken in 1962 during the restoration of the cottages.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Foresters' Cottages' page

18 High Street

 

 

 

These fine, timber-framed buildings date from the early 15th century.  Those now numbered 2 and 3 formed the original Hall House, with no. 1 being added later.  The Ancient and Honourable Order of Foresters, whose insignia is in the Ashwell Museum, purchased the buildings as an investment.  During the Victorian era they were divided into five cottages and plastered over.  At one time in the 19th century there were 35 people living in the five ‘two up, two down’ dwellings!

 

Foresters' Cottages were saved from demolition in 1959 and were purchased by the Hertfordshire County Council for £2,250 and restored for about £12,000.  The cottages were conveyed to the Hertfordshire Building Preservation Trust Ltd in 1965 for the sum of one shilling (5p), on the understanding that they would be kept in good condition and preserved for the future.  They were eventually sold to private purchasers.  Foresters’ Cottages (this spelling is in the conveyance) are Grade II* Listed, being of special interest.

 

 

 

This page was added on 13/12/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.